Any student who meets our criteria can apply for a discretionary bursary. These are designed to allow you to maximise your success in your chosen area of study/ career. The bursaries are therefore to help you with the following:
- Transport to school
- Food for learning
- Essential course costs (books, trips, equipment, materials)
- University/ Career requirements
Who can apply?
You are eligible for a Weatherhead discretionary bursary if:
- You are currently receiving Free School Meals or if your family income is below £16,190
- If your family income is £20,000 or below
- You can apply THROUGH the year if your circumstances change
In addition to this we will take individual circumstances into account if you earn above the threshold of £20,000.
If you have any questions you can talk to the Sixth Form Team or any member of SSLT.
How do I apply?
You fill in two forms:
- The 16-19 Bursary Application Form
- The Individual Requirements Bursary Application Form which allows us to give you the right financial support for your needs. A receipt will need to be attached as proof of cost for travel for audit purposes.
What conditions do I need to meet?
At Weatherhead we set the following conditions that you need to meet to receive a discretionary but you need to have a minimum of 95% attendance and attend all lessons
- You need to be ‘on track’ in your courses
- You need to follow the school expectations on behaviour for learning
- We will take into account valid reasons for not meeting conditions 1 and 2 above e.g. a medical operation.
How do I receive the bursary?
You will receive the bursary in the following ways:
- Your bursary will be received in the form of a payment to your bank account at 3-weekly intervals
- You will be reimbursed on production of receipts for travel etc, where approval has been given in advance. For any text books, equipment or materials the school can order directly on your behalf.
Please note that if your request relates to the use of equipment or books that belong to the school, you will be required to sign an agreement confirming that the items will be returned to the school after use.
- You can request that the school covers the cost of your university/ career requirements i.e. visits and interviews which will be refunded on production of receipts.
If you are unsuccessful in your application for a bursary, you may appeal against the decision by writing to the Business Manager outlining details of your appeal, which will be considered and the outcome communicated to you within 5 to 10 working days.