Employers and Employees
Activities for all year groups
Future Choices Fair
As part of Weatherhead’s continuing commitment to informing our students about the range of education and training options, including apprenticeships available to them and raising their aspirations, we invite a range of further and Higher education establishments, universities and apprenticeship providers to represent their establishment at our Future Choices Fair.
The aim of the event is to provide impartial careers education, information, advice and guidance from a range of local and national employers and education institutions.
Year 12 Experience of Work Programme
Year 12 students took part in an experience of work related to their career interests. They visited the Career Connect offices in Liverpool to experience a boardroom setting and were able to have a question and answer session from an industry professional as well as learning about the local labour market.
Year 13 Mock Interview Day
Year 13 students met with an employer for a one-to-one interview in order to better prepare them for future applications and interview processes. They were able to discuss their strengths and areas for improvement as well as their career aspirations. Employers included Airbus, Park Group, the Johnson Foundation and the NHS.
Year 12 Volunteer Programme
As part of the Weatherhead Volunteers’ programme we welcome students taking the initiative in other community projects and charity fundraising, and have excellent links with external agencies for volunteer placements and work experience. We also encourage charity work with healthcare agencies, which is especially helpful to those students seeking routes into healthcare professions.
Volunteers placements include Wallasey Squadron RAF Air Cadets, Arrowe Park Hospital, Girls’ Union and local libraries.
Students can also apply for the following:
- Grant Thornton – Access Accountancy Programme
- Intromed – for students wishing to pursue a career in the medical profession
- Liverpool University – Pathways to Law programme
- Level 2 and Level 3 Child Care students all attend placement at a local nursery or primary school on a weekly basis for the duration of their course
Grant Thornton Access Accountancy Programme
- The programme is a unique insight and development programme that will give you a taste of what it’s like to work in professional services.
- Access Accountancy is a movement for change across the accountancy profession working to make sure that everyone has an equal chance of accessing career opportunities in our sector, regardless of background.
- Pre and post programme support
- Introduction to Accountancy across Audit, Tax and Advisory (using interactive case studies)
- Business skills development (teamwork, communication, confidence, networking and making presentations)
- Access to buddies and mentors
- Employability skills, recruitment and careers advice
- All costs associated with being a part the programme such as travel, lunches etc are covered by Grant Thornton.
- The aim of the programme is to give you a taste of working within a global professional services firm, as well as developing them both personally and professionally. Whether they are looking for a fast track onto our school leaver apprenticeship programme or to build their CV ahead of university, this is a great opportunity to take part in some great work experience.
- Before you begin your work experience week with us, you’ll be invited along to an insights evening where you’ll spend some time getting to know our firm and people, as well as learning about what to expect during your placement.
- You’ll then begin your placement with us, spending four days in one of our local offices to understand more about business, the way businesses work and the different types of career opportunities available.
- You’ll take part in various exercises and sessions throughout your time with us all of which are designed to give you the best start to your career, and for you to have fun along the way. Sessions include group exercises to help you develop key skills such as team work and communication.
- You’ll gain a deeper understanding of the three main business areas of our firm (Audit, Tax and Advisory – more on them in the next section below) by taking part in insight sessions and practical exercises relating to these areas.
- You’ll be pitching a business idea to a panel like a real business adviser would do and there’ll also be plenty of opportunity for you to learn about networking and to practice these skills with your fellow Grant Thornton colleagues.
- Click here to register your interest.
Collaboration, Leadership, Excellence, Agility, Respect and Responsibility
Harrison Day Nursery
Liscard Primary School
Lyn’s Little Ones
Greenleas Primary School
New Brighton Day Nursery
St George’s Primary School