Employers and Employees
“Every student should have multiple opportunities to learn from employers about work, employment and the skills that are valued in the workplace. This can be through a range of enrichment activities including visiting speakers, mentoring and enterprise schemes.”Gatsby Benchmark 5
Activities for all year groups
Future Choices Fair
Friday 13th July 2018
As part of Weatherhead’s continuing commitment to informing our students about the range of education and training options, including apprenticeships available to them and raising their aspirations, we invite a range of further and Higher education establishments, universities and apprenticeship providers to represent their establishment at our Future Choices Fair.
The aim of the event is to provide impartial careers education, information, advice and guidance from a range of local and national employers and education institutions.
Year 12 Volunteer Programme
As part of the Weatherhead Volunteers’ programme we welcome students taking the initiative in other community projects and charity fundraising, and have excellent links with external agencies for volunteer placements and work experience. We also encourage charity work with healthcare agencies, which is especially helpful to those students seeking routes into healthcare professions.
Volunteers placements include Wallasey Squadron RAF Air Cadets, Arrowe Park Hospital, Girls’ Union and local libraries.
Students can also apply for the following:
- Grant Thornton – Access Accountancy Programme
- Intromed – for students wishing to pursue a career in the medical profession
- Liverpool University – Pathways to Law programme
- Level 2 and Level 3 Child Care students all attend placement at a local nursery or primary school on a weekly basis for the duration of their course
Grant Thornton Access Accountancy Programme
About the programme
- The programme is a unique insight and development programme that will give you a taste of what it’s like to work in professional services.
- Access Accountancy is a movement for change across the accountancy profession working to make sure that everyone has an equal chance of accessing career opportunities in our sector, regardless of background.
- Pre and post programme support
- Introduction to Accountancy across Audit, Tax and Advisory (using interactive case studies)
- Business skills development (teamwork, communication, confidence, networking and making presentations)
- Access to buddies and mentors
- Employability skills, recruitment and careers advice
- All costs associated with being a part the programme such as travel, lunches etc are covered by Grant Thornton.
- The aim of the programme is to give you a taste of working within a global professional services firm, as well as developing them both personally and professionally. Whether they are looking for a fast track onto our school leaver apprenticeship programme or to build their CV ahead of university, this is a great opportunity to take part in some great work experience.
- Before you begin your work experience week with us, you’ll be invited along to an insights evening where you’ll spend some time getting to know our firm and people, as well as learning about what to expect during your placement.
- You’ll then begin your placement with us, spending four days in one of our local offices to understand more about business, the way businesses work and the different types of career opportunities available.
- You’ll take part in various exercises and sessions throughout your time with us all of which are designed to give you the best start to your career, and for you to have fun along the way. Sessions include group exercises to help you develop key skills such as team work and communication.
- You’ll gain a deeper understanding of the three main business areas of our firm (Audit, Tax and Advisory – more on them in the next section below) by taking part in insight sessions and practical exercises relating to these areas.
- You’ll be pitching a business idea to a panel like a real business adviser would do and there’ll also be plenty of opportunity for you to learn about networking and to practice these skills with your fellow Grant Thornton colleagues.
- Click here to register your interest.
Collaboration, Leadership, Excellence, Agility, Respect and Responsibility
Each year, a small number of Year 12 students take part in Intromed, a week long programme that takes place in a hospital where students gain an insight into possible medical careers through shadowing different medical professionals.
Harrison Day Nursery
Liscard Primary School
Lyn’s Little Ones
Greenleas Primary School
New Brighton Day Nursery
St George’s Primary School
Contact the Future Choices Team
Director of Careers and Aspirations:
Mrs A Moretta
Miss L Smith
Work Experience Coordinator:
Mrs G Jones
0151 631 4400